Tyrell St Bridge
- Normal Class Concrete 20/20, 32/20, 32/10, 20/10, 25/20, 25/10, 40/10, 40/20, 50/20
- RMS Mixes: RMS 32/20 R83, RMS R83 32/10,
- RMS B80 40/20, RMS B80 50/20, TREMMIE 40/20
- Kerb and Gutter mixes, Shotcrete B80 32/10, No Fines
Location: Tyrell St, Wallsend
In August 2019 the City of Newcastle started its $3million replacement of Tyrrell Street Bridge in a major step towards combatting flooding which has plagued the local centre. The new higher and longer bridge will allow more floodwater to pass through the Hunter Water-owned channel during rain events. The existing Tyrrell Street road pavements adjacent to the bridge will also be raised to match the higher bridge level.
This project was completed in June 2020.
The scope of works for this project consists of the demolition of the existing bridge and to construct a two-span, two-lane prestressed concrete plank road bridge, adjacent road works and ancillary stormwater and utilities adjustments.
- The works aim to increase the hydraulic performance of Tyrrell Street bridge
- Improved flood management and reduced road closures
- Improved road safety and better driving conditions
Comprehensive slump and compression testing carried out throughout the job by Coffey International and Qualtest.